Jan 31, 2012

Who cares about poor people?

Not the GOP. Nope, not at all. Being a poor person, of course I already knew the mouthpieces of the republican party think I’m lazy and uneducated. I know that for various reasons they think I should both stop having babies and stop aborting babies.

And also apparently the stupid Susan G. Komen for the Cure Foundation doesn't care about low-income women.  The Foundation pulled its funding from Planned Parenthood, which move was announced yesterday. The foundation, which has come under fire for various dealings, did so because Planned Parenthood is under a congressional investigation on account of some superamazing undercover work in which spies found PP employees to be doing their jobs! Advocating for women’s health! Scandalous, indeed. So the new vice pres of the Komen Foundation just happens to be a woman who ran for governor of Georgia partially on a platform of defunding PP. And the guidelines about not being able to fund an organization under congressional investigation? New.

The Susan G. Komen Foundation for the Cure does not care about poor women’s health. Hundreds of thousands of women will go without breast cancer screens now, because surprisingly, there aren’t a lot, or any in many areas, places that do free or cheap cancer screenings. Despite anti-choicers efforts to the contrary, us poor women haven’t been tossed under the hearse yet.

Planned Parenthood has already launched a Breast Health Emergency Fund to offset the untenable actions of the Komen Foundation. Led with a grant of $250,000 by the Amy and Lee Fikes Foundation, the fund will work immediately to allow PP to keep performing life-saving screening and care. “We are deeply alarmed that the Susan G. Komen for the Cure Foundation appears to have succumbed to political pressure from a vocal minority,” Karl Eastlund, president and CEO of Planned Parenthood of Greater Washington and North Idaho, said.

Eastlund’s alarmed, but I bet he’s not surprised, and neither am I. More and more it’s obvious that the vocal minority is getting louder, and if you listen, this is what they’re saying to the rank and file: You don’t matter.

Look, I’m not going to ask you to donate to the Emergency Fund, because you’re probably as broke as I am, and I get annoyed with all the “Donate if you can” stuff, because I DO want to, but I can't. But I know that our pro-choice, pro-women pens are mightier than the swords of holier-than-thou-ness wielded by many enemies of folks in poverty. We may be poor, but we deserve, yes, ARE ENTITLED TO, healthcare. I’m grateful for those who remember that, like our Senator Patty Murray, like the Amy and Lee Fikes Foundation,and like Planned Parenthood.

4 comments:

  1. I GASPED when I read this. I really, really hope they change their minds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too, though I don't really think they will. Makes me absolutely sick to my stomach to know the anti-choicers' zealotry is going to mean women like me don't get cancer screens or affordable care. I just...I don't get their faulty thought process and blinders when it comes to Planned Parenthood.

      Delete
  2. I thought of this entry when I read that Susan G. Komen had changed their minds. I hope this will teach people that you can't mess around with womens' rights!

    BTW, you were one of the winners of The Discovery of Jeanne Baret over at Constance Reader. But I don't have your email address! Can you get in touch with me at constance.reader@gmail.com so that I can arrange to have your copy sent to you?

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete