Mar 8, 2012

On choosing not to be an asshole

IWD
I used to be quite conservative politically in all the worst ways.  I was a misogynist.  I believed being gay was gross and that abused women should just leave already.  I told racist jokes and used racial slurs.  I’m terribly ashamed of all of that, and I’ve since become much less of an asshole.  But one thing I’ve never  been unsure about is reproductive rights.  I’ve been pro-choice at least since 7th grade, which is when I remember having my first political argument.  My cousin Cindy said abortion was evil and wrong, and I said I didn’t think it was.  My reasoning was something about a mother resenting a child she didn’t want.  My cousin didn’t buy this and made fun.  “Oh, yeah, right, like the mom’s going to go Oh, I resent you, and slap them or whatever.”  I stood my ground though, because I knew what I was talking about.  I’ve been the resented child.

                I don’t know how my mom felt about children in general in her 20s, but I do know how she felt about girl children, and she didn’t want any.  She had a boy first.  Whew.  Then came me, and my grandmother’s warning must have loomed loud in her head, words I heard over and over through the years too:  “I can’t wait until you have a daughter just like you.”    My grandmother predicted I would be girl, and probably mom resented that implication, that she was about to get hers.  Who wouldn’t resent a barbed comment like that?  So out I came, female, and already I was a disappointment.  I know my mother loved and loves me, and that absolutely does not change the fact that she resented my femaleness. 

                So, predictably or not, my mom and I never really got along that well.  And I never forgot that she never wanted a girl.  I couldn’t, because she brought it up more than a few times during my childhood and adolescence.  By the time I began having sex, I had known for years that I didn’t want any kids.  Why take the chance that I’d have a kid like me, I figured. 

                Yes, I actually told myself and believed that I was a bad person, a bad child.  Somehow this translated to me having a fervent desire to not procreate, and I think this shaped my pro-choice views way before I ever started in with sex.  Back then, the right to abortion was about wanting pregnancy or not wanting it.  I didn’t want it, powerful bad.  And today reproductive rights is still about wanting pregnancy.  Every one of my children were wanted, even though not planned.  But before that, two abortions were what I wanted.  I didn’t know it back then, but what I wanted was to want pregnancy.  And when that happened, it surprised the crap out of me.  What my cousin could not and did not know back in seventh grade was that I knew about resentment, and I knew those ill feelings towards a child didn’t need to take the form of physical abuse.

                But just wanting my children doesn’t make me a great mother, and I’m fully aware of that.  What I want most for my children is confidence.  I want my daughters and my son to not only know they are wanted and loved, to never question that for a moment, but to instill that confidence in other young people, to be the kind of people who can buoy others in need because they have that strong sense of self.  I know some of this is up to chance and circumstance, but making sure girls and boys don’t grow up to be the kind of assholes who would restrict someone’s right to bodily autonomy seems as easy as not being that kind of an asshole yourself. 

               

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why did you remove the above comment? Is this censorship or did someone write something profane????

    Even if they did write something profane, it is more of a reflection of what an idiot they are than the quality of the above topic….

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well apparently this blog does not believe in freedom of speech. What I wrote was not vulgar, it was on topic but was critical of the author of the above article.

    Freedom of the press and freedom of speech are our nation’s most important freedoms. Isn’t interesting how quickly people who have benefited from these freedoms revoke them when they can just because they disagree with what is written on their blog.

    The monitors of this blog join the ranks of history’s dictators and tyrants who use their power to squelch opposing opinion.

    Shame on all of you.

    Your karma shall reflect the injustice you inflict on others….

    IT TOOK A BIG HIT THIS DAY

    Block me if you will and wallow in your unchallenged ignorance.

    Any blog that censor’s so unfairly is unworthy of my time and commentary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! Not too worried about my karma, there, fella. And for the record, you didn't challenge anything with your comment. I guess you were going to report me to CPS for not choosing to raise my kids like assholes, or what?

      Delete
    2. Wow, does someone have an ego problem or what? You still have never even explained your argument, nor do you understand the nature of blogs. They are totally within their rights to block non-essential posts that do not bring anything into the discussion. Trolling blogs to evoke responses just seems a little sad. You should really just go take your medicine. Oh, Limbaugh is on in an hour.
      Funny thing about invoking Karma is that it works both ways.

      Delete
  4. Repost what anonymous #1, Bess

    Let freedom ring and let freedom of speech be heard!
    Let the rest of the readers of this blog decide if Anonymous #1 is a right or wrong, on or off topic.

    Don’t decide for everyone else, Bess….

    Be a leader, not a loser…

    It will help mend your karma…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I always listen to folks who call me a loser, here you go: Anonymous #1 said he wants to report me to Child Protective Services (presumably for not raising my kids to be bigoted buttholes who think they know what is best for everyone in every situation).

      Whew, I can feel my karma mending already.

      Delete
  5. You have grown, Bess...good for you! I'm glad you see the light and have had the courage to mend the errors of your ways.

    Censorship is a result of anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to fear. Fear is the path to the dark side.

    May the wisdom of the founding fathers be with you, always…

    ReplyDelete