Jul 1, 2012

Dream, Reality, Fantasy


You know, I try to be Ms. Revolutionary and try not to care that I am no longer married, am jaded and accepting of a non-traditional lifestyle, but sometimes this tra-la-la stuff stops and I get smacked in the face with gorgeous engagement pictures on Facebook or bridal showers or weddings of well-adjusted individuals I know. My fear is that I will veer away from this sort of happiness because 1) I feel I don’t deserve it. I had my chance and/or 2) this sort of happiness and stability doesn’t really happen anymore. Yet, there it is in front of my face, this POSSIBILITY of the American dream: someone to commiserate over student loans, to have more children with, to know the ins and outs of each others quirks. Maybe I’m just not built for it anymore. 

I wonder if this is a post-divorce phase? Will I ever be or feel eligible for a real baby shower or bridal shower? Will I ever wear my dream wedding gown? None of those things happened with my first marriage or first child. I feel this is the price I pay for having been a 19-year-old mother and newlywed.

What are your experiences? Have you been here? Did you get out of the slump? Did you embrace the new “fun-loving, devil may care” you? Are you a married lady who thinks women like me are nuts? 

Tell me.

No comments:

Post a Comment