Nov 24, 2012

Boobs and betrayal


I follow a lot of parenting pages and blogs.  Most of them are natural parenting type pages, and nearly all of them espouse breastfeeding, which I am all for.  I breastfed my first child for a few months, but I didn’t have any support, i.e. someone to show me what to do, how to do it, the pitfalls and how to avoid them, etc., so we only made it for two months, and then I pumped for another month.  Some of the bloggers I follow get a little bitchy about BFing, though.  It’s clear to me that breast is best—it provides the best of the best nutritionally and bumps up immunity.  It has lasting benefits.  But I also think if a woman can’t or even just doesn’t want to breastfeed, we should all shut the eff up.  As long as the baby is being fed, we should back off.  Still, if I have another baby I’ll (probably) definitely give it another whirl.

                I added the qualifier after reading Florence Williams’ book Breasts:  A Natural and Unnatural History.  Williams, who received her MFA through the illustrious MFA program at the University of Montana, breastfed her children.  “I was happily nursing my second child, blithely backstroking through that magic bubble known as the mother-infant pair-bond, when I stumbled upon a news report…I read that scientists were finding industrial chemicals in the tissues of land and marine mammals as well as in human breast milk.”  Being a journalist mama, she wrote about it, sending off her breast milk to Germany to be tested for flame-retardants, which hang out and build up in our fat, and have been shown to cause all kinds of problems in lab animals.  Her breast milk tested positive, higher than she expected, and 10 to 100 times higher than women in Europe.  Williams’ milk also tested positive for a jet fuel ingredient, among other chemicals and exposures that come from electronics, furniture, and food.  And that got her wondering about the ecosystem that is the human breast.  “What toxic load had I already bequeathed my children by nursing them?  What did it mean to their health, and to mine? Was it still okay to breast feed?  How did these chemicals interfere with our bodies?  Could we ever make our milk pure again?”  Breasts store fat, so they also store fat-loving chemicals.  They’re permeable, reflective of everything we eat, drink, touch.

                The book made me a little uncomfortable, which I take as a good sign.  Williams is a chatty writer, so she makes the scientific stuff understandable.   In parts it was a bit much for me, but not so much that I didn’t want to keep reading every second.  I particularly love the way she started the book off.  She took care to mention a theory of breast evolution—basically, it goes like this:  Men like big breasts, and find them useful.  Big-chested women were chosen for mating, the big boob gene got passed down, and well, there you have it, that’s why most men prefer a large dairy section.  Large breasts are a better indicator of age, the theory goes, so our ancestor males knew that once the boobs started sagging, either with age or after pregnancies, the males would look elsewhere for a mate.

                And then, to my delight, she pretty much pshaws that whole theory, pointing to glaring holes:  Frances Mascia-Lees, an anthropologist Williams spoke with, thinks the last fifty years of study about breasts and attraction has been a bunch of bull.  If men had so much to do with breast evolution, if they prefer women with large and firm breasts, why would our boobs be at their largest and firmest while pregnant and breast feeding?  Why is there so much breast size variation, and why are smaller-boobed women just as good at nursing and parenting in general?  “Just suppose for a moment, gentlemen of the academy, that breasts evolved because she needed them, not because her club-wielding cave man did.”  Ha!  I love it. 

                But that was all in the first few pages.  Now.  Basically, we know nothing about breasts.  What causes breast cancer, what REALLY causes it?  Young breast feeding mothers get less of it, older breast-feeders like me, a little higher.  The only thing that has been actually, without a doubt proven to cause breast cancer is radiation.  And the most commonly recommended screening tool?  Radiation, in the form of mammography.  Williams goes into a lot of things that I’m not going to do justice to, but I found this review that touches beautifully on some of the science.  What this book did for me, though, was make me more aware that I need to be more aware.  It’s exhausting, all the steps we have to take to get away from plastic, for example.  Carcinogens are found on the back of shiny receipt paper, for crap’s sake.  It’s incredibly depressing, but we’re on a need-to-know basis.  And it turns out we really do need to know. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment