Apr 8, 2018

UK Shameless vs. US Shameless

POSSIBLE SPOILERS
Image from: http://shameless.wikia.com/wiki/Frank_Gallagher

I'm an unabashed Shameless fan.  I love the US version and am up to date on that. I also love the UK version, but I have not finished all episodes available on Hulu quite yet. After a lot of episodes of both, I have come to the true conclusion that the Brit's version is better, although there are characters I like better on the US version.

I find the UK version to be more real.  Chatsworth Estate IS poverty. Cramped, dingy, neighbors right up your ass. Crime is rampant; in fact, the Maguires (Milkovich's in US version), a crime family, live right next door to the Gallagher clan. The characters are much more down to earth and believable.  Not every one is a gorgeous human being with a perfect body; they look like people you'd see walking down your street, not standing next to a Hollywood star or walking the red carpet.

The Gallaghers may be down and out in the US version, but they have a huge house I would love to have for my large family.

Frank Gallagher in the US version is pretty much just a huge piece of shit most of the time, using his children, not caring for anyone but himself.  UK's version has a lot more nuance and is more than the caricature portrayed on the US show. He has feelings, he actually does care about his children, but is still a piece of shit. He's got the red cheeks, the gin blossom, and greasy hair. William H. Macy is amazing and I adore him, but he looks too good to be an alcoholic.

So, UK Frank wins it for me. As for the other characters:




Fiona: This is a tie. I love Emmy Rossum, though she was being a huge thundercunt last season, like Ian said. UK Fiona didn't have too much of a chance to grow on me as she left after __ seasons, sadly.

Lip: All right, so US Lip is the bomb. UK Lip pissed me off when he went off to college and cheated on Mandy, and then listened to her when she told him to go on and leave her and their child. She didn't want him to, really, but didn't want to hold him back.  So he left his goddamn child. I don't care for that sort of thing. And US Lip is hot in that bug-eyed but also bedroom-eyed thing he has going.

Ian: UK's Ian does not suffer from bipolar depression as does the US version. He's a guy next door looking type. I luuurve him. US Ian is by no means bad though. Damn that boy is sexy and have you seen him as the Joker on Gotham?  Holy shit.

Monica: UK all the way. UK Monica is a C U Next Tuesday and I LOVE IT. She comes and goes as the seasons go on, always being a huge bitch and not giving a crap about her kids for the most part.

Kev/V: US all the way. Kevin is a stone cold foooox. V is sexy as hell. I did like the UK version, but they also didn't stick around that long so I couldn't really fall in love with them.

Mickey: UK Mickey is absolutely goofy and loveable. He has a tendency to have spittle flying from his mouth at all times. He STILL has not told his family he's gay at the point I have gotten. When his mother has a baby and seems to care for it very little, Mickey pretty much takes over the care of baby Cille. He is full of feelings and at times brings his battling family together.  US Mickey is gone, and I loved his character, but the two are so different as to not really be able to compare them.

UK Shameless' characters do often leave, such as Fiona, Kev and V, Lip, Debbie, Ian, and even Liam.  At this point it's a whole new cast of characters, practically. But I do like the characters and stories the newbies bring. Paddy and Mimi Maguire(sp) were my favorite for a long time, but Paddy left too. the Gallagher house is never empty, but currently on the season I am watching, Carl and Frank are the only originals still in the house.

The US show keeps the same foundation of main characters. I'm patiently waiting for Mandy and Mickey to come back. Sadly, UK Mandy died in an awful fire. UK characters die much more often.  As I said, the UK version is just more gritty and indicative of life below the poverty line.



No comments:

Post a Comment